What if I no longer want to make preauthorized payments?

  1. You can remove your card on file; or

  2. You can request to have your preauthorized payment placed on hold for a period by contacting the WSCC at 1-844-238-5008.

    Once the hold is placed on your account, the WSCC will not process any payments during the hold period. The Preauthorized Payment page also displays the hold details.

    Note: If you update or remove your card on file, the hold is automatically removed.